Monday, June 2, 2008

Hooray for the Month of May!



The countdown continues at our home for school to be out for the summer! Well, at least for four of us. Mom and Bradley aren't quite ready for the invasion yet. Before we get thrown into summer, just wanted to share a bit about our happenings lately. We tried to make up for Amanda's "birthday on the move" and let her have a few friends sleep over. It was so nice to have a place to throw the girls and not hear them but most of all, not wake up Bradley! We had a Mother's Day BBQ with both families and broke in the new blender I got for Mother's Day (see earlier post). We also celebrated my "25th or so" birthday (as my friend's sign on my door so sweetly stated) by going to The Mandarin House with a few other couples and playing games at our house. We then loaded up and headed to Waitts Lake for some beautiful weather, fun and relaxation. It was sad the weekend went by so fast but we needed to come home--we still have more unpacking to do. One of my personal highlights was running around the lake for the first time ever. My mom and sister and I have a very long-standing tradition of walking the hilly 4.6-mile road at least twice during the weekend every year. This year, my sister and I knew we were ready and attempted to run the distance instead of walk. We did it and really enjoyed it! We spent last weekend doing a yard sale with two other families. I haven't done a yard sale in a long time and had forgotten how much work they are!

I have also been experiencing a new level of motherhood; celebrating successes and challenges with Amanda and Jared that as they get older I realize are out of my control. For example, Amanda ran for an ASB office and then didn't make it. She was then turned down for a position in leadership. I was so proud of her for running! I was sad with her but couldn't make it better. It seems easier when you know what to say or how to solve the disappointment. When did it get to the point where I can't put a Band-Aid on it anymore and kiss it better? Jared, too, went through some confidence struggles with pitching and batting this season. Nate and I and his coaches worked extensively with him to change the mechanics of his swing, etc. but in the end we realized it was something he had to figure out for himself. Once he did, the reward was much sweeter for him and for us. It is amazing to see these kids grow and become their own person. I find myself recognizing that the Lord has a plan for them as individuals and as they experience these things and while I am a part of it, I certainly cannot be the director but sometimes I really would like to be! It will be funny to look back on this stage and realize it is probably a walk in the park but for now it is a new experience for me and makes me want to thoroughly enjoy every time I can still "kiss it and make it better."

4 comments:

Shelli said...

Wow Mara, you nailed it. I have been thinking the same things about my kids and not being able to put a band-aid on things anymore. It is hard to see them go through things, but rewarding when they get through it. Love to see all your pictures, makes me excited for vacation!

Jenny said...

Loved chatting with you today. I'm really excited about the thought of running the 10k with you. (what does that say about me?!) Even if that weekend doesn't work, another one will and we'll just run our own race.

SherBear said...

I just love getting updates on this kids! But it also makes me sad I can't be closer and be a bigger part of their lives. Hopefully you can make it down to visit me in SLC one of these days!

Jodi said...

How did I miss this post? I love all of your pictures - you really captured all the moments. You're a great Mom Mara - keep it up! :)